Dr. Steven H. Turkeltaub reveals a number of body contouring procedures that can help remove excess skin and fat left behind after significant weight loss.
Phoenix, AZ — Losing a substantial amount of weight through diet and exercise and/or bariatric surgery can be a life-changing experience both physically and psychologically, says Phoenix plastic surgeon Steven H. Turkeltaub, MD. Most of the time, however, those individuals who have experienced massive weight loss find that they are left with loose, irregular, excess and often hanging skin and localized mounds of stubborn fat in several areas of the body. For people interested in addressing these cosmetic concerns, he notes that there are a multitude of different body contouring procedures available that can help them achieve a tightened, more sculpted and attractive figure.
At the Arizona Center for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, Dr. Turkeltaub’s patients have a variety of post weight loss surgery options to choose from based on the specific areas they wish to target. He states that some of the most common procedures include:
- Abdominoplasty – More commonly known as tummy tuck surgery, this procedure is performed to remove excess skin and fat and contour the underlying abdominal wall and involved areas in order to obtain a flatter, more sculpted abdomen.
- Arm Lift – Technically known as a brachioplasty, this cosmetic surgery is employed to excise loose, hanging skin and excess fat in the arms in order to create a more toned, firm and rejuvenated appearance.
- Thigh Lift – Performed to tighten, elevate and remove lax, redundant skin, this procedure can be utilized to target the inner thighs, outer thighs or both simultaneously for a more aesthetically pleasing appearance.
- Belt lipectomy – Sometimes referred to as a lower body lift, this circumferential body contouring approach involves not only a full tummy tuck but also the removal of excess skin and fat, as well as the tightening, contouring lifting of the buttocks and outer thighs.
- Liposuction – This popular treatment can be used alone or in combination with other procedures to help eliminate diet and exercise-resistant fat accumulations of various areas of the body.
- Breast Lift – Also known as a mastopexy, breast lift surgery is employed to re-elevate and re-shape sagging breasts through the removal of excess skin and contouring of tissues. A concurrent breast augmentation with the placement of breast implants is usually performed as well in order to obtain the best results possible.
- Male Breast Reduction – This surgical option for men is designed to remove lax, excess skin and fat (and glandular breast tissue, if present) of the breasts in order to achieve a more masculine-configured chest.
- Facelift – Often combined with a neck lift, this popular procedure can help correct laxity in the midface, lower face and/or neck through the tightening of muscles, excision of loose, excess skin, re-positioning of the skin and possible fat injections. A forehead lift and blepharoplasty may need to be performed along with the facelift so as to obtain a more harmonious, comprehensive improvement.
Should a patient desire to address several areas of concern, Dr. Turkeltaub notes that multiple procedures can often either be performed in combination or in separate stages. “For instance, if you wish to improve the appearance of drooping breasts, hanging arm skin and loose skin of your abdomen and mid-section, an abdominoplasty and lower body lift may be combined to form the first stage of treatment, followed later in time by a breast lift with/without implants and an arm lift.”
Ultimately, Dr. Turkeltaub states that the removal of the excess skin and fat that are present along with plastic surgical sculpting after significant weight loss can be exceptionally rewarding for individuals who made the decision to change their lives for the better through diet, exercise and/or bariatric surgery. For anyone interested in post weight loss body contouring, he strongly recommends seeking the expertise of an experienced board certified plastic surgeon who can custom-design a safe and effective treatment plan that addresses their personal needs.
About Steven H. Turkeltaub, MD, PC
Following his graduation from the six-year medical program at Boston University and Boston University School of Medicine, Dr. Turkeltaub went on to complete his residency in general surgery at the University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital and his plastic surgery training at the University of Massachusetts Medical Center. Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, he is renowned throughout the Phoenix area for his exceptional skill and personalized approach to cosmetic surgery, and he has been the recipient of numerous accolades, including being selected as one of the top doctors in the Valley by his peers. Dr. Turkeltaub is available for interview upon request.
Arizona Center for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
10290 N. 92nd St.
Scottsdale, AZ 85258
18275 N. 59th Ave.
Bldg. E, Suite 126
Glendale, AZ 85308